That's my name, don't wear it out.
Disclaimer:
While the author of this blog realizes that this title is absolute cheese, she promises to never again make a title that bad, but only if you promise to never mention this disgusting, lazy attempt.
Anywho. Moving right along.
While my grandparents were visiting this weekend, my grandfather told a new story. Apparently, when my parents announced that they had decided to name me 'Gabrielle', my grandfather kindly objected. It is safe to say that the following is probably a very-nearly-close-to-accurate dialogue.
Anywho. Moving right along.
While my grandparents were visiting this weekend, my grandfather told a new story. Apparently, when my parents announced that they had decided to name me 'Gabrielle', my grandfather kindly objected. It is safe to say that the following is probably a very-nearly-close-to-accurate dialogue.
~
"Don't name her 'Gabrielle'. If you name her 'Gabrielle', everyone will call her 'Gabbie'!", my grandfather said.*
"No, they won't. We'll never let anyone call her 'Gabbie'. We'll make sure she's known as 'Gabrielle'", my parents replied.**
~
"Don't name her 'Gabrielle'. If you name her 'Gabrielle', everyone will call her 'Gabbie'!", my grandfather said.*
"No, they won't. We'll never let anyone call her 'Gabbie'. We'll make sure she's known as 'Gabrielle'", my parents replied.**
~
After sixteen years, this was the first time I heard this story. And nearly everyone calls me 'Gabbie'. Even my parents, grandparents, etc. Unless I'm in trouble (which is very, very rare!!!); then my parents refer to me as 'Gabrielle', or (if they're more upset with me) the notable and even more infrequent 'Gabrielle Taylor'.
Imagine that.
So, I would like to request that you would please call me 'Gabrielle' from now on. I think it would be fun to see who actually calls me by my whole first name, and for how long they remember. If you just absolutely cannot bear to call me 'Gabrielle' and stubbornly (but understandably) insist on calling me 'Gabbie', that's fine.
Whatever floats thy boat.
G'night everyone!
*The reason my grandfather didn't want me known as 'Gabbie' was because of George 'Gabby' Hayes, the cowboy sidekick.
**I'm not sure if this entirely assured my grandfather, but I was, obviously, named 'Gabrielle' in the end. Or, should I say 'beginning'?

5 Comments:
Gabrielle? Yeah, I think I can do that..
Too... many... syllables... I'm just going to continue to call you "you"
Haha. Fine with me.
ummmmmm...no promises, Gabrielle :) in fact...with my bad memory I'll be calling you "Gabbie" again in an hour :)
sorry...old dog, you know :)
Ok let me try this...
Gabbie... darn it, let me try again
Gabbie.... shoot!!!! ok, lets sound it out
Gaaaaaaaabrrrrieeeeeelleeeee. YES I did it. :D
Post a Comment
<< Home